The Call for Papers is now closed.
The BARS Early Career and Postgraduate Conference invites an examination into the pluralistic theme of ‘futurities’ in Romantic-period literature and thought. This examination is inclusive of, but not limited to, the historical future, the anticipatory future, posterity, and the future of the field of Romanticism. The conference will bring together early-career and postgraduate researchers whose work addresses futurity from a wide range of perspectives: from historical depictions of the future, to writers’ concerns with posterity, to the future of the field of Romanticism in regard to rethinking the canon, pedagogical approaches, and digital humanities.
We encourage a wide interpretation of ‘futurities’. Topics of interest may include, but are not limited to:
- Backward Glances (the anterior future, or the historical moment as future)
- The Utopian and Dystopian
- Science and Invention
- Radicalism, Rights, and Revolution
- Lost Futures (early and unanticipated deaths, unpublished works)
- Prophecy and Apocalypse
- Time and Temporality
- Modernity and Posterity
- Ecology and the Environment (‘dark ecology’ and the Anthropocene)